Women Love Big Cock, Says Science!
The news media is particularly bad at reporting on scientific inquiry. Science is complex and doesn’t make for a discussionless, sellable sound bite. But that certainly doesn’t stop the media from trying. It’s exactly like this PhD Comic:
Here’s the text if you can’t read the picture:
1. Scientists publish in academic journal “Conclusion: A is correlated with B (p=0.56), given C, assuming D and E conditions. Which is translated by:
2. University PR office, and their press release saying “For Immediate release: Scientists find potential link between A and B (under certain conditions). Which is then picked up by:
3. News Wire organizations, which erroneously report “A causes B, say scientists”, and this is read by:
4. The internets, which blogs “Scientists out to kill us again” and every anonymous idiot comments “OMG! I knewwww it!!!”, and the blogging and tweeting gets noticed by:
5. Cable News, which report, without interviewing the scientists, “We saw it on a blog! A causes B all the time! What will this mean for Obama?”, which filters down and is picked up by:
6. Local news affiliates, which says “What you don’t know about A could KILL YOU! More at 11”. Which eventually leads to:
7. Scientists friends and family wearing tin foil hats and telling them is to “ward off A”.
This is so, so true and I’ve seen it so many times, the most recent of which was a study about penis size.
The study was titled “Penis size interacts with body shape and height to influence male attractiveness” and was published in Proceedings of the Academy of Sciences.
So like figure 1 in diagram, there are correlations between two, in this case three variables, with certain conditions. Penis size alone wasn’t related to how women determined attractiveness; it was in conjunction with body shape and size. The findings were that women reported bigger penises more attractive to look at (if the male also was was tall and had the desired hip to waist ratio), but it didn’t say women prefer to have sex with men with big penises, or enjoy sex more with men with big penises. Also, it wasn’t a linear relationship, with the women rating the men more attractive the bigger the penis was. And let’s quantify “big”, shall we? Penis size was a factor in higher ratings of attractiveness, but only until a certain point (that’s the non linear relationship). After three inches (soft), penis size stopped mattering. Three inches is the average size of a flaccid human penis. So in combination with height and body shape, women don’t prefer big penises, they just don’t prefer smaller than average ones. And by prefer, I don’t mean to have sex with, I mean to look at, soft. Also, the female study participants were 104 white Australian college students. So that’s what the scientists found and reported. But this is what the news media reported.
The anti-intellectualism and lazy, ignorant journalism is astounding. Science doesn’t “prove” things. Correlation is NOT causation. The study didn’t conclude women prefer “well endowed” men- it said they prefer average men! It didn’t even look at pleasure, so reporting “research finds it’s not all about the motion of the ocean” is just LIES!
I just can’t anymore, with the media. I can’t.